It’s not every year you get to share a 36ft Dreamboat, complete with narwhal prow, and crewed by an 80-strong team of Optus employees and ambassadors like Ian Thorpe, with half a million people on the streets of Sydney. But that’s exactly what we did in 2023 with Optus, the Premier Network Partner of Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras and Sydney World Pride.
Working closely with the Optus Express Yourself LGBTQIA+ employee network – a group of advocates and allies focused on creating a more diverse and inclusive work environment – we brought to life the idea that “Pride Starts With Yes” in ways that celebrated diversity and individuality and enhanced the public’s World Pride experience across Fair Day, Mardi Gras Parade, Queer Screen Film Festival, Bondi Beach Party and Rainbow Republic.
- 315 employees from the Express Yourself community
- 437 hours to build the float
- 2 Australian Champions involved
- 36 dogs participated in Doggywood
- 80 Optus employees marching
- 15 pieces of bespoke content created live